My Dogs Are My Boys
My dogs, Hunter and Helmsley, have meant so much to my wife and I since we got them five years ago. I dare say that they have been good for our marriage as well.
Both my wife and I have had crazy work schedules, and having them to either come home to, or be home while the other one of us is working helps us from getting too lonely.
Hunter
Hunter was our first puppy. He and I hit it off almost immediately. We played in the yard and did a lot of cuddling, which still continues to this day. It does seem like pets do choose a parent to bond with a little more, and my wife and I agree that Hunter is more of my boy. But, he prefer to sleep with mommy over me. Probably because of my snoring.
The first place we brought Hunter was over to my mom's place. Turns out that Hunter was definitely a Nana's boy too. Whenever we stopped by for a visit, he would hop right up on mom's lap and stay there most of our visit. You could tell that really made her day.
Hunter can also be the vocal one. If he and Helmsley are in our backyard, Hunter is the first one to bark at people or other puppies. I still have not figured out if he is being protective of his territory, or wanting attention.
It seems that he also needs something in his mouth at all times. Be it his ball, or his toy puppy. We have figured that it is a security thing for him.
Even though he can be a little rough around the corners every now and then, he is an amazing puppy whose priorities are to play and cuddle.
Our not so little Helmsley is the vocal one when there is something that he wants or needs. While sometimes you have to be a mind-reader to know what Hunter wants, Helmsley is never shy about telling you about what's on his mind.
He is also very good at guilting his daddy in to more snacks than he needs. His mommy has more will power than I do, and Helmsley knows it. Whether it is a snack, or having to go outside to relieve himself, he is very vocal about it.
He can be a cuddler, but only on his terms. But when he is tired, or afraid of thunderstorms, he is a cuddle monster.
Of the two, Helmsley is probably the more independent one. When he needs his quiet time, he will go off by himself and just chill out for a while. But, when he wants to play, he is all in.
Overall
Having a pet is one of the best things in the whole world. They are so excited to greet you when you get home and love you with all of their hearts.
In my situation, having them there when my wife was working insane hours realky kept me from being lonely. I had enough of that when I was single. I talk to them probably more than a sane person should, but they seem to respond to it.
As you can see by all of the pictures of them on my social media, I am one proud daddy.
My one wish is that I wish my dad could have had the chance to meet them before he passed away. My dad loved dogs, and I am sure that Hunter and Helmsley would have loved my dad as well.
That's all for today. If you don't have a pet, and can give them the time, patience and love they need, consider getting one. They make life so much more enjoyable
Until next time, take care of yourself
Comments